We are all looking for ways to save money; however, sometimes we overlook some of the easiest ways to save money. Laundry is something we all need to deal with. If you add up the money spent on detergents, fabric softeners, water and electricity you realize you are spending a lot of money just to keep your clothes clean. However, there are a number of ways to save money when doing laundry. Here are some great tips on how to save on laundry costs while having cleaner clothes.
Great Ways to Save Money When Doing Your Laundry
1. The number 1 way to save money when doing your laundry is to start washing everything in cold water. Washing machines and detergents have be engineered to clean just as well with cold water as they do with warm or hot water. Washing everything in cold water will also extend the life of your clothes.
2. Take some time each month to vacuum your lint traps in your dryer. While you have a lint filter to empty after each load, the filter cannot pick up all lint. Some gets trapped. This makes your dryer less efficient and therefore costs more to use. If you vacuum the lint from the dryer and exhaust your clothes get dry faster.
3. Stop using fabric softener and dryer sheets. Vinegar is great at making your clothes soft. So instead of fabric softener add some white vinegar in the rinse cycle to soften your clothes. To keep static away, you can use dryer balls, either made from aluminum foil or wool yarn. A few balls in each load will keep static at bay.
4. If you really don’t like the thought of using vinegar, you can easily make your own fabric softener for the dryer. Tossing a few sachets of dried lavender will add the fresh scent you like while helping to soften your clothes. These sachets will not reduce static, so be sure to toss in some dryer balls too.
5. Wash only full loads of laundry. This way you will wash fewer loads and fewer loads means you spend less.
6. Don’t be afraid of generic or store brand laundry detergent. The major manufacturers make these brands for stores so the quality is the same but the price is a lot less.
7. Laundry detergents are much stronger than you think. Combine that with the new higher efficiency washers and you only need to add half of the laundry soap you used to add. To ensure your laundry comes out just as clean as before, add some baking soda to each load. You laundry will just as clean, if not cleaner this way and you are saving quite a bit on laundry soap.
You will start to notice that you are saving money in just a few months by follow these 7 tips. You will be using less energy, less water, and less laundry detergent but you clothes will be clean and fresh.